Application Form Package & Levies - Please scroll down
November 1, 2013 NEW APPLICATION PROCESSING GUIDELINES & CALENDAR FOR MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS (REGULAR & CLA)
Completed applications received by the administrator are submitted to the members of the Membership & Admissions Committee (MAC) every 2 weeks on Mondays.
MAC will examine an application and provide a recommendation to the Law Society Executive within ten (10) working days assuming no further information is required from the applicant.
October 1, 2012 PROOF OF AUTHORIZED PRACTICE OF LAW
Practice Directive #45 : Roll number for Proof of Authorized Practice of Law.
[Click here] to download the PD#45
Three (3) ways to be entitled to practice law in Nunavut:
Scroll down to access the Combined Application Form Package & Applicable Fees and Levies
1) Regular Membership
Regular membership allows lawyers to actively practice law in the Territory.
- [Click here] to download a copy of the Required Reading List – For Regular Membership Application ONLY :
Applicants for regular membership, transferring from another jurisdiction, must do some required reading under ss 39.3(3)of the Rules. A statutory declaration stating that the reading was done and understood must be submitted with an application for regular membership. The statutory declaration can be found in the combined application package.
NB. Though not required for the purposes of transferring, we encourage applicants to acquaint themselves with the culture, geography, and history of Nunavut and its people using the supplemental reading material.
2) Restricted Appearance Certificate (RAC)
A Restricted Appearance Certificate (“RAC”) only allows lawyers to actively practice law in the Territory on up to three (3) legal matters for the period of one year.
[Click Here] to download the RAC Policy.
3) Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA)
The Canadian Legal Advisor (“CLA”) Certificate is for lawyers with a Bachelor of Civil Law. CLA lawyers are restricted to giving legal advice and doing legal work on:
COMBINED APPLICATION FORM PACKAGE
Thank you for your interest in our Law Society. All the necessary forms and information required to apply for regular (active or inactive) membership, RAC or CLA in the Law Society of Nunavut are available for download on this page. All files require the Adobe Acrobat reader.
- [Click here] to download APPLICATION FORMS in one PDF document.
- [Click here] to download a CHECKLIST of required materials and payment.
- [Click here ] to download DETAILED INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS about the application package and TOTAL PAYMENT OF FEES AND LEVIES (including GST).
- [Click here] for important information about TRANSFERRING UNDER Territorial Mobility Agreement.
- [Click here] to download Fee Schedule (Including GST).