Legal Profession Act of Nunavut (Current to Dec 7,2014) is available for download here .
Rules of the Law Society of Nunavut (Current to November 7, 2016) is available for download here . Please note amendments to current version of the Rules were ratified at the November 7, 2016 Special General Meeting.
Model Code of Conduct 2016
- The Law Society of Nunavut’s adopted a Nunavut version of the FLSC Model Code on November 7,2016. Download a copy here.; Learn more about the process and consultation here.
- Guidelines for Practicing Ethically with New Information Technologies -Supplemental
Like all people in Canada, legal professionals are subject to the Criminal Code, but they are exempted from the federal legislative regime under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (“PCMLTFA”) due to constitutional principles that protect the rights of clients and the obligations of legal professionals within their confidential relationships. The legal profession has adopted model rules for lawyers and notaries to follow that are designed to reflect the government’s legislative objectives under PCMLTFA, while reflecting the rights of clients and the obligations of legal professionals ( excerpt from the FLSC website).
- Guidance for the Legal Profession (revised Feb. 2019)
- Model Rule on Cash Transactions (revised Oct. 2018)
- Client Identification and Verification Rules (revised Oct. 2018)
- Model Trust Accounting Rule (revised Oct. 2018)
[Click here] to obtain information on transferring under the Territorial Mobility Agreement.
Nunavut’s legislation and Rules of Court
These materials are available online through the Nunavut Court of Justice and the Government of Nunavut websites.