April 15, 2019 – Notice of 2018-19 AGM and Elections
The Annual General Meeting will take place on Thursday May 30 @ 5:30pm.
- Detailed Notice is available here.
Nominations to the Executive Committee are open up until April 30.
February 4, 2019 – NOTICE OF HEARING
Please take notice that a Sole Inquiry will take place on February 28 at 9:30 AM ET in Iqaluit, Nunavut as follows:
IN THE MATTER OF THE LEGAL PROFESSION ACT R.S.N.W.T. C.l-12
AND IN THE MATTER OF THE COMPLAINANT MARIO PERIARD
NOTICE OF HEARING WITH RESPECT TO JAMES MORTON
December 4, 2018 – NOTICE OF 2019 MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS
Deadline: January 31, 2019
- General 2019 Notice of Renewals with instructions and total overall fees and levies
- LSN 2019 Form S (Notice Renewals) with breakdown of fees and levies
- LSN 2019 Renewal Package (Form T) including forms related to CPD, Referrals and Insurance Exemption
- Change of Status Inactive to Active package (Form R)
- Relevant provisions of the Rules of the LSN
September 11, 2018 – The LSN welcomes the appointment of Mrs. Koovian Flanagan as its new Executive Public Representative.
June 22, 2018 – Statement of the Law Society of Nunavut
April 9, 2018 – LAW SOCIETY MAY 26, 2018 AGM
- Notice 2017-18 AGM taking place on Saturday, May 26, 2018.
- 2017-18 AGM AGENDA; Item 12. 2016-17 Member motion
- 2016-17 AGM minutes (Draft)
- Notice of 2018-19 Executive Election (Form A) with Nomination Form (Form A.1). Deadline to submit a nomination is expired.
- Call for Volunteer Award Nominations 2017-18, Deadline to submit a nomination is expired.
March 2017 – New Security Measures: Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal,Court Martial Appeal of Canada and Tax Court of Canada
The Law Society received noticed from the Courts Administration Services of “forthcoming changes to the security measures in place” and ” how this will affect your members” .
Please read the detailed notice here.
November 8, 2016
The LSN adopts the Model Code of Conduct ( Nunavut version) in replacement of the CBA Code of Conduct ( adopted March 2005).
- Read the Notice to the Profession -New Model Code of Conduct
- View the Resolution ( Resolution A) adopted at the Special General Meeting (November 7,2016)
October 17, 2016 Special General Meeting
Pursuant to Ss. 13(2) of the Legal Profession Act
Date: Monday November 7, 2016 @ 5:45 PM ET (meeting begins @ 6pm ET)
June 21, 2016
- New 2016-17 Executive Committee takes office .
- LSN Model Code Consultation – Deadline for comments. Closed on Friday September 2, 2016.
2015-16 Annual General Meeting Reports
Report Nunavut Model Code Review
- Report Access to Justice Program
- 2014-2015 LSN AGM Minutes Draft
- 2015 Volunteer Award Recipient James Morton.
CLOSED – December 17th, 2015 – Roster of Counsel for LSN
Deadline Feb 1st, 2016 – Learn more about this roster .
CLOSED – December 7,2015 – Notice of 2016 Membership Renewals
- General Notice with details of payment method and general instructions
- 2016 Renewal Package
- 2016 Renewals Fees
- Pursuant to Ss 54(1) of the Rules of the LSN Form S – Notice of 2016 Renewals
- Relevant provisions of the Rules of the LSN (Current to May 30, 2015)
Cancelled – November 24, 2015 – Notice of Special General Meeting
Date: Friday, December 4, 2015 5:45PM ET
November 19, 2014 Notice of Special General Meeting
- December 2014 Update: View the adopted Pro Bono Rule Amendment
Date: Thursday December 4, 2015 5:15PM ET
Venue: Nunavut Tunngavik Inc., Boardroom Igluvut Building, 922, Iqaluit
October 28,2014 Trinity Western University (TWU) – The Executive Committee is in the process of determining whether or not to approve TWU’s application for the recognition of its proposed law school.
- December 2014 Update : Call for Appointments to the LSN -TWU Committee. View the details.Deadline is Friday January 23,2015.
Dec 4, 2014 Roundtable Agenda and Discussion Guidelines.
- Read Member Submission here.
- Read Member Submission here.
- Read Member Submission here.
- Read Member Submission here.
- Read the Canadian Council for Christian Charities Submission.
- Read the CBA NU Branch Letter and the CBA Resolution – Non-Discrimination in Legal Education.
- Read the Trinity Western University Submission.
Roundtable Discussion Members are invited to attend on Thursday December 4th at 6:00pm ET in the Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. Boardroom. The Roundtable will begin soon after the Special AGM scheduled for 5:15pm ET.
May 14 2014 Notice to the Profession – Trinity Western University Accreditation
The following is a notice to the profession concerning the accreditation of Trinity Western University (TWU) law school graduates. The Executive wishes to clarify that the LSN has not yet reached a decision regarding the accreditation of TWU graduates. Rather, the LSN wishes to further discuss the matter through consultation with its members.
Please contact the office if you wish to receive the Notice in Inuktitut.
Jan 2014 – Update on current discipline procedures and planned policy changes.
National Discipline Standards Pilot Project
The LSN on April 1, 2012 implemented the National Discipline Standards Pilot Project (“NDSP”), created by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada to standardize the legal profession’s regulatory framework related to discipline complaints.
The project establishes appropriate timelines for investigations, citations and hearings; to provide for greater transparency, public participation and accessibility to information in the discipline process.
From the date of implementation, the LSN has developed a timeline grid sheet used in each new discipline file to ensure the application of the Standards.
The NDSP mandate is executed by the LSN in accordance with the distinctive nature of the legal profession in Nunavut, and in agreement with the Legal Profession Act (“LPA”) and the Rules of the Law Society of Nunavut (“Rules”).
The LSN adopted policies or reaffirmed statutory obligations in light of the NDSP pertaining to:
- Publication of a Notice of Hearing
- Use of electronic means for conducting hearings and mandatory in-person participation
- Public Access to a Member’s Discipline History
- Member Compliance with the Disciplinary Process
February 2013 – Unauthorized Practice of Law in Nunavut
Lawyers Acting on Independent Assessment Process Claims–
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement, former Residential School Students had till September 19, 2012, to apply for compensation under the Independent Assessment Process (IAP). The Adjudication Secretariat is no longer accepting applications; however, lawyers in the Nunavut Territory are called to act on IAP claims.
Due to the nature of these claims and the vulnerability of their clients, lawyers have the responsibility to ensure a high level of trust. They are called to act with diligence, particularly in obtaining the authorization to practice law and in the reasonableness of the legal fees charged.
It has come to our attention that some lawyers are acting on IAP claims without the proper authorization. Concerns have also been raised about certain lawyers’ behaviour towards their clients.
This Notice is intended to send a clear message about practicing law in Nunavut and to set out the Law Society’s policy and position with respect to this matter.
Click here to download the complete Notice .
- September 2012 Indian Residential Schools (IRS)
Independent Assessment Process (IAP)
The deadline to submit an IAP application : September 19, 2012
To learn more about the IAP and to access the official Indian Residential Schools Adjudication Secretariat and the application form, please click the following link: http://www.iap-pei.ca/home-accueil-eng.php
Guide to Assist in Change of Lawyers
ᐊᓪᓚᐃᑦ ᐊᖏᕐᕋᖃᖅᑐᓄᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕐᕕᒃ
ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑯᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕐᓂᖅ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓂᖅ
ᑕᑕᑎᒐᔅᓴᖅ ᑐᓂᓯᒪᔭᕆᐊᖃᖅᑐᖅ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑯᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕐᓂᖅ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓂᖅ: ᓯᑎᐱᕆ 19,2012
ᖃᐅᔨᒋᐊᒃᑲᓐᓂᕈᒪᒍᕕᑦ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑯᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕐᓂᖅ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓂᖅ click here ᑕᑯᒋᐊᕐᓗᒍ ᐊᓪᓚᐃᑦ ᐊᖏᕐᕋᖃᖅᑐᓄᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕐᕕᒃ ᒪᓕᒐᔅᓴᐃᑦ ᑎᑎᕋᕕᖓᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᑕᑎᒐᔅᓴᖅ.
ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑯᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕐᓂᖅ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓂᖅ ᖃᐅᔨᒋᐊᒃᑲᓐᓂᖅ 1-877-635-2648
ᒪᓕᒐᔅᓴᐃᑦ ᐃᑲᔫᑎᑦ ᐊᓯᔾᔨᖅᓯᒪᔪᓄᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᖅᓯᔨᓄᑦ.
ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᑐᙵᕕᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᐃᓚᐅᖅᐳᑦ ᐃᑲᔫᑎᒃᓴᓂᒃ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕈᑎᒃᓴᓂᒃ ᐊᓯᔾᔨᖅᓯᒪᔪᓂᒃ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᐅᔪᓂᒃ ᐃᒻᒥᒃᑯᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᓴᕈᑎᓂᒃ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓂᕐᒧᑦ click here ᑕᑯᓂᐊᕐᓗᒍ ᒪᓕᒐᔅᓴᖅ.
ᒪᓕᒐᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖏᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᒻᒥ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᓂᖅᓴᐅᔪᒧᙵᐅᑎᑦᑎᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᑐᓴᒐᔅᓴᓂᒃ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᐃᕝᕕᒃ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᑎᒍᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᖅᓯᔨᓂᒃ ᐃᑲᔪᕈᓐᓇᖅᑐᓂᒃ ᒪᓕᒐᓕᕆᓂᕐᒥᒃ ᓱᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓂᒃ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᖏᕐᕋᖃᖅᑐᓄᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕐᕖᑦ. ᐅᖄᓚᒍᓐᓇᖅᑐᑎᑦ 867-979-2330 ᐅᕝᕙᓘᓐᓃᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐅᕗᖓ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLOSED – July 12, 2012 – Call for Public Representative: We are seeking a community member with a variety of life and work experiences who wants to bring a voice from the perspective of the community to issues affecting the justice system and the delivery of legal services in Nunavut. Click here to download the full position description in: English, Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun. Deadline : September 30,2012.
- February 2012 – Nunavut Court of Justice Law Library : Implementation of the new Collection Development Policy and Access and Services Policies. Click here to download the Memo.
- November 2011 – Extended Territorial Mobility Agreement. All Canadian Law Societies have signed on to extend the TMA. Click here to download the recent TMA.