The Law Society of Nunavut is a subscriber to the Canadian Lawyers Insurance Association (CLIA).
Mandatory Liability Program for Errors & Omissions
If you require or have questions related to liability insurance coverage in Nunavut, please contact the office.
- Period of coverage: The annual period of coverage is from July 1 to June 30.
- Prorating: The CLIA policy allows for the prorating of the annual levy going into the period of coverage but it cannot reimburse a practitioner that stops the practice of law during the period of coverage.
- For example, if you are changing your status from inactive to active or will be changing your practice to providing services to members of the public in October, the levy to be paid will be prorated for a period of 9 months.
- Copy of the Policy: A copy of the current applicable policy is available and provided upon request. Please email Adel DeBelen at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an electronic copy.
- Cyber Insurance Coverage: Once you’ve subscribed to the Mandatory Liability Insurance, you are also covered for cyber-related loss. Learn more including how you can report a claim here.
Voluntary Excess Program: Learn more here. The coverage period is also June 30 to July 1.
Reporting a Claim: All claims for errors and omissions are currently handled through the Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association (ALIA). All insured lawyers in Nunavut are required to report to ALIA as soon as possible after learning of a claim or becoming aware of circumstances that might give rise to a claim. The policy is a ‘claims made’ policy, meaning lawyers must report all claims or potential claims during the policy period.
- To discuss a claim or potential claim, please contact ALIA toll-free: 1-800- 661-1694.
- To report a potential claim, use the Insurance Claim Report Form provided by ALIA. The details to submit your report are included in the Form.
- A copy of your report must also be filed with the LSN.